[openbeos] Re: (No Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2006 22:26:37 +0100

  • From: "Chris Peel" <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 7 Sep 2006 11:44:58 +0100

I didn't intend to cause a fight and I don't appreciate the fairly rude
"it's our way or no way" responses received as I don't think that's the Be
(or hopefully) Haiku way.

Lars is right - Windows does allow theming and you could change your icons
(via TweakUI - a Microsoft product) since Windows 98.

Windows XP includes theming because Micrsoft - finally - caught up with the
fact that users want theming support in their operating system.  For
goodness sake, even Dano shipped with a moderate form of theming support,
although it was in its infancy.

I'm really surprised at the response this post has got.  I wasn't demanding
theming support (I apologise if it was interpreted in such a way) and I
don't expect the devs to stop what they're doing and include it.  I just
hope Axel's and Stefano's responses are not indicative of the Haiku project
overall.

I'm sorry if this sounds like I'm up my own a**e or conceited or anything
but if you want Haiku to be an o/s of the future you need to forget about
1999 and get with the times.  I want (sorry, would like) to be able to sync.
my mobile phone via bluetooth with Haiku, run it on a laptop and connect via
wireless, etc.  I appreciate this may not be the goal of R1 but to simply
dismiss it with a "well I don't do it so I can't imagine anyone else would
want to" repsonse is very disappointing.