[openbeos] Re: (No Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2006 22:26:37 +0100

  • From: Stephan Assmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 07 Sep 2006 09:54:41 +0200

Chris Peel <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi Stephan
>
> "That being said, Haiku does let you change your icons. Same level of
> comfort as R5."
>
> I think you've answered my query then!  I would have no problem with not
> being able to change the 'theme' per se; I would just like the ability to
> change the icons (even if it was via an unsupported hack).

Haiku will even have a little vector drawing app in the form of
Icon-O-Matic. Which in my opinion is quite a leap forward compared to R5.

> I would like to explore the "lot of positive points for a fixed default
> set of icons" you mention as I can't think of many myself, and I can
> certainly think of many reasons why you _would_ want to allow users the
> ability to customise their desktop.

Don't be offended... but I don't feel like going over this again. Just a
few: visual recognizability (association with Haiku), standard for third
party applications -> consistent look.

Best regards,
-Stephan