[openbeos] Re: (No Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2006 22:26:37 +0100

  • From: Ralf Schülke <teammaui@xxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 07 Sep 2006 18:49:05 +0200

On 2006-09-07 at 13:16:22 [+0200], François Revol <revol@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Haiku R1 have just a slightly higher level of customizability than
> > R5:
> > you will be able to change window decorators, system colors, icon
> > sets,
> > and probably system cursors, but there will be no 'skinning' support
> > (theming of controls). This is a good balance between the "anything
> > goes" mentality of Linux and the "one theme to rule them all" model
> > of
> > OS X. There is a *lot* of room for customizing the OS with this,
> > despite what some may say. I wrote an article about arguments for and
> > against skinning some years ago which explains the stance, but the
> > basic conflict is usability vs customizability.
> >

> I think by looking at the various themes available for Zeta you can
> have a good idea of how much Haiku will be themeable, as they both go
> the same way.

I think Haiku do not need a customizability, the BeOS Look&Feel is the
best since it give grafical users interfaces. When we look outside from
BeOS/Haiku, then we see overblow GUI´s and Aplication (Windows, Mac os X,
KDE, Gnome), ex(all light Desktops Env. will ignored :-( )
A Spirit from BeOS is:
-looks clear
-fast to do anythink
-no dev tools desasters
-nice minimalistics GUI, whit customitais by the Developer (we see a left
slider in 3DmiX)
- good base by the kits and servers (here is the futures, here mast more
develop in the futures (Haiku r2)
- good idears by the codecs / translaters (we need more from this = Video ,
Audio
 etc..

I think when Haiku get the same way as other OS with GUI overblowed, is
this a end from this.

THX Ralf Schülke aka Stargater