[openbeos] Re: Just one, big question, seriously

  • From: Timothy Covell <timothy.covell@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx,"Michael Phipps" <mphipps1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 2 Apr 2002 23:21:46 -0600

[snip]

> I am not sure how this applies. Developers have left. So have team
> leads. They are replaced. That is really what open source is about.
> It is a community effort. No one could do this on their own.
>
> Yes, applications are a question. They always have been, for BeOS
> and for any "alternative" OS. The difference between us (OBOS) and
> Be is that we can afford to be patient. Plus we have a great design out
> of the gate, where as Be had to build it.

        And there's an even better reason why OBOS can
do better than Be.   Opensource code allows any competant
programmer to fix bugs when he encounters them.   I know that
there were several projects which not advanced on BeOS due
to problems with the kernel that Be didn't have the resources
or commitment to fix.

        From my point of view, OpenBeOS will do just fine
because:

1. The OpenBeOS team is aiming for R5 compatibility.

2. The Posix layer will continue to allow Unix apps to be
ported, and with control over the kernel and app_server
we should be able to improve posix support.

3. OpenSource code has that million eyes factor to find
and fix bugs.

4. OpenSource also has a strong feedback loop so that
successful projects tend to get more support.   As opposed
to BleuOS, Atheix (Linux/AtheOS/BeOS), GNU HURD, &
the plethora of half-hacked projects out there, OpenBeOS
is open and making _visible_ progress.

Just my take on the situation.

timothy.covell@xxxxxxxxxxxx