[openbeos] Re: Just one, big question, seriously

  • From: "Michael Phipps" <mphipps1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 01 Apr 2002 17:49:28 -0500

This should be in the FAQ's, John:

Why don't you build something *better* that BeOS R5?

We have, we are and we will.

We have: Anything finished as of your reading of this is open source. That is
better for the community because they can be assured that it will never focus
shift or go away on them.

We are: Much of the code being written today is being written with an eye
toward the future. Networking is in the kernel. All of the bad design decision
legacy from < R5 is gone. We are implementing the pinnacle of Be's (released)
design ideas.

We will: R1 is the *FIRST* release. We have many great ideas (and welcome
yours, on the GE list) for R2 and beyond. The best is yet to come.