[haiku] Re: Haiku's SMP

  • From: "David McPaul" <dlmcpaul@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2008 17:22:01 +1100

On 2008-11-18, Ryan Leavengood <leavengood@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 18, 2008 at 12:38 AM, David McPaul <dlmcpaul@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Well, I would like it so I can have multi-threaded encodes/decodes in 3ivx.
> > Since Haiku does not yet have encoding support I can only port the
> > multithreaded decoder.
>
> OK, good point. Though we really need to get that encoding support
> added. Of course I have no idea how complicated it would be and I
> assume it isn't trivial since it has not been done yet. It seems like
> this would be a great area for you to contribute. You probably know
> more about video encoders and decoders than most other Haiku
> developers :-D

This is an area I have to be careful with.

I signed an NDA with BeOS to get access to their encoder/decoder API
and media framework.  If I was to try and build a media encoding
framework for Haiku I run the risk of being accused of using the BeOS
IP.

But even without that, I really am just an amateur at this.  I learned
a lot from porting the 3ivx encoder/decoder and working on the MP4/MOV
extractors.  I am not sure I would be able to design a good media
framework for Haiku.

--
Cheers
David