[haiku] Re: Haiku's SMP

  • From: "David McPaul" <dlmcpaul@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2008 16:38:23 +1100

On 2008-11-18, Ryan Leavengood <leavengood@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 17, 2008 at 10:14 PM, Nick <tonestone57@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > There is a link to the Zeta pthread library source which I posted there but
> > it no longer seems to work.  Maybe you can contact website to gain access to
> > it.  Also, you'll find a link to Haiku's pthread implementation but it gets
> > included in libroot instead. ( maybe you can build it as pthread library? -
> > this would be ideal but would have to be adapted for BeOS ).
>
> If any pthread library should be ported to BeOS, I would say it should
> be the Haiku one. I believe it just uses the BeOS compatible thread
> functions in the kernel. Though I am sure there is some Haiku-specific
> code in there somewhere, maybe the TLS stuff.

My initial look showed that R5 was missing functions relating to
atomic test and set.

> But I am of the opinion that work like this to backport things to BeOS
> may not be a good use of time, and I do not think any Haiku developers
> can afford to spend time on it. If someone else chooses to do it, that
> is fine. Though again I do not think it would be very useful. As much
> as we all love BeOS (enough to clone it), Haiku is where the current
> focus should be.

Well, I would like it so I can have multi-threaded encodes/decodes in 3ivx.
Since Haiku does not yet have encoding support I can only port the
multithreaded decoder.

I am not asking for a haiku developer to do this for me.  But if
anyone thinks they can do it.  Then contact me and maybe we can come
to an arrangement.

--
Cheers
David