[haiku] Re: Haiku's SMP

  • From: "Ryan Leavengood" <leavengood@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2008 23:30:11 -0500

On Mon, Nov 17, 2008 at 10:14 PM, Nick <tonestone57@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> There is a link to the Zeta pthread library source which I posted there but
> it no longer seems to work.  Maybe you can contact website to gain access to
> it.  Also, you'll find a link to Haiku's pthread implementation but it gets
> included in libroot instead. ( maybe you can build it as pthread library? -
> this would be ideal but would have to be adapted for BeOS ).

If any pthread library should be ported to BeOS, I would say it should
be the Haiku one. I believe it just uses the BeOS compatible thread
functions in the kernel. Though I am sure there is some Haiku-specific
code in there somewhere, maybe the TLS stuff.

But I am of the opinion that work like this to backport things to BeOS
may not be a good use of time, and I do not think any Haiku developers
can afford to spend time on it. If someone else chooses to do it, that
is fine. Though again I do not think it would be very useful. As much
as we all love BeOS (enough to clone it), Haiku is where the current
focus should be.

Regards,
Ryan