[haiku] Re: Haiku's SMP

  • From: "Ryan Leavengood" <leavengood@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2008 00:46:48 -0500

On Tue, Nov 18, 2008 at 12:38 AM, David McPaul <dlmcpaul@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> My initial look showed that R5 was missing functions relating to
> atomic test and set.

Yeah that is probably an issue. Kernel support for those is pretty
important, as I don't think they could be emulated outside the kernel.

> Well, I would like it so I can have multi-threaded encodes/decodes in 3ivx.
> Since Haiku does not yet have encoding support I can only port the
> multithreaded decoder.

OK, good point. Though we really need to get that encoding support
added. Of course I have no idea how complicated it would be and I
assume it isn't trivial since it has not been done yet. It seems like
this would be a great area for you to contribute. You probably know
more about video encoders and decoders than most other Haiku
developers :-D

> I am not asking for a haiku developer to do this for me.  But if
> anyone thinks they can do it.  Then contact me and maybe we can come
> to an arrangement.

That is of course perfectly reasonable.

Regards,
Ryan