[haiku] Re: Haiku's SMP

  • From: "Raymond C. Rodgers" <sinful622@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2008 17:58:38 -0500

Nick wrote:
Make sure you get the dual core Atom 330.  I am very happy with it.
That was my plan, and I'm glad to hear you're happy with it! :-) I'm sure I will be too.
It handles 1024x768x32 and even worked with 1280x1024x32 in VESA mode which works pretty good.
You get HyperThreading - shows up as 4 CPUs ( can turn this on or off )
Realtek 8111 Gigabit Ethernet ( supported very well by Haiku's native rtl8169 driver )
Supports 2GB of RAM.
Good news all around. I'd been thinking about getting an Atom cpu/board for a few months to replace a Netgear SC-101 network storage device (I hate that it wasn't really what I wanted and needed) but ended up getting a Buffalo LinkStation instead. As I've wanted to get back to work on Themis, this is probably the best BeOS/Haiku related news I've had in a while!
Issues: 1) VESA video mode works great but Intel_extreme video driver does not work. I filed a bug report and hopefully gets fixed.
http://dev.haiku-os.org/ticket/3149
2) Comes with integrated high definition audio. Appears to be supported by hda driver which is currently under development - no sound/music until hda driver is included in haiku image. 3) non-ahci sata controller. Haiku's sata drivers do not work - hang system. You can still use sata by changing from native to legacy mode in the bios ( seems a little slower ). Haiku is installed on pata drive for me but I'm able to mount, read and write to partitions on my sata drive when bios is set to legacy mode.
I can live with each of these issues, and won't have any complaints while they're worked on. Now, I'll just have to start looking for a case that'll suit my needs.

Thanks for the information!
Raymond