[openbeos] Re: Bounties

  • From: "Euan Kirkhope" <euan.kirkhope@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2007 09:25:54 +0100

A virtual memory manager would be nice too. ;)

PS your call out for bounties completely missed my radar...

Euan

On 18/07/07, Stephan Assmus <superstippi@xxxxxx> wrote:
Hi Karl,

> A while back I held a poll asking users where they'd like to see a
> renewed bounty project - At Haiku or Haikuware. Surprisingly, 60% voted
> in favour of having it at Haikuware. I had mixed feelings about this and
> then gave a weeks notice to every registered user at Haikuware (of which
> there are a few Haiku devs) to have a discussion about a bounty project.
> I also gave another email to remind everyone 15 minutes before the
> discussion. I was a little upset not to get any input from anyone
> directly related in the active development of Haiku,

I was totally unaware of this discussion and the poll. I don't understand
why you write to this list now, after the fact, and not before...

But in any case, I have very little time for Haiku, and that is frustrating
enough already. I don't feel like spending time in a discussion about
bounties. I'd rather spend my time coding and answering to emails if it is
simple enough. You have to be aware that some (a lot?) of the Haiku devs
feel an uncomfortable pressure. With your expressed expectations about
participation from the "officials" in your effort you just add to that
pressure. I'm just telling you this, because it is important to keep that
in mind. Yes, people realise that a bounty system can be helpful if done
right, we said that before, but your list again tells me, that you have not
listened to the input you did get from Haiku devs before.

> 1) Hardware/driver management and database program (as described in
> the
> news<http://www.haikuware.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=38
> &Itemid=1>). An implementation similar to that of the hardware database
> program on the Kubuntu <http://www.kubuntu.com/download.php> and
> Ubuntu<http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download>LiveCDs would be ideal.
>  2) A simple CD burning application with support for Data/Audio/Disc
>  Images
>  3) NDIS Wrapper <http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/joomla/>
>  4) LIRC <http://www.lirc.org/> port (Project
> started<http://bebits.com/app/3860> on
> BeOS)
>  5) CUPS <http://www.cups.org/> port
> 6) Webkit port.
> 7) EFI module (boot EFI motherboards)
> 8) Haiku Drive Setup
> 9) Haiku Bootman
> 10) Intel, Via and Nvidia SATA drivers (port Syllable's FreeBSD drivers?)

In this list, I think the last four entries are a good target for bounties,
the items befor those are in no relation to the available people with
enough BeOS knowledge and their available time. If you keep that list, a
lot of people might be putting in their money on the totally unlikely
items, which in turn makes the likely items much less likely. So in the
end, your first bounty effort might repeat itself, and you might call it a
success because you raised some money, but I predict none of these items
will actually get done because of your bounty project.

Best regards,
-Stephan