[openbeos] Re: Bounties

  • From: "Karl vom Dorff" <karl@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2007 10:01:00 -0400

On 7/19/07, Axel Dörfler <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

"Karl vom Dorff" <karl@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I'm simply referring to getting a response to the question about what
> bounties would be suitable; that's it! Actually, it's not even the
> mailing
> list, it's the general public, members of Haikuware, whatever. It's
> just
> hard to get people together to talk about something, let alone do
> something
> (this was in reference to Jonas' idea).

What kind of bounties are suitable or not is something we can come up
with over time - first we need to have the mechanism to deploy them in
the first place.

The mechanism is in
place<http://www.haikuware.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=47&Itemid=71>...
And collecting as we speak.

And then I would like to have Haiku endorsed bounties as well as ones
started by the community, wherever they seem fit. There just needs to
be clear distinction between the two.

That's fine. I have *Haiku recommended bounties. Those are bounties that
have priority and are referenced to Haiku developers on the list. I am
meaning to make that more noticeable. I understand what you mean however,
and that's easy to do. Does Haiku endorsed mean the project would get
integrated into Haiku's source? I think that's also a distinction that needs
to be drawn. You should also specify if a community bounty, if completed,
would be integrated into the source tree.

We could have a general bounty fund that Haiku would use to start
bounties from (to have a price tag from the start), and which is either
going to be filled directly, or by community bounties that couldn't be
realized over a specific period of time.

Btw, I hope you endorse/link the bounty project somewhere on Haiku's site.
I'm doing this for Haiku and the community. When you think about it, Haiku
has already endorsed a 3rd party bounty system - that's called GSOC. I would
hope Haiku affords the same opportunity to other 3rd party community
members!

All the best,

Karl

Bye,