[openbeos] Re: Bounties

  • From: Simon Taylor <simontaylor1@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2007 16:20:54 +0100

One more thing, eventually Haiku should name an official 3rd party
repository, because although an operating system is nice, you need
software for it. Maybe people don't want to develop for the OS
itself but applications for it. There's no info on Haiku about how
to do that, where to do that etc. This issue was raised a while ago
in this thread
<//www.freelists.org/archives/openbeos/06-2007/msg00149.html>.
I've made the announcement that OSDrawer would handle the bounties.
Can't Haiku do the same for 3rd party apps? Just a suggestion!

The thread you mention was the one that I started. I chose the wrong time to start it as I never had time to follow up on it properly, and the thread quickly deviated from the core proposition I was making. I will bring it up again at some point as it's pretty much my *big idea* as far as Haiku is concerned.

To respond to your comment, I don't think Haiku needs to recommend something like osdrawer (over say berlios or sourceforge) - they are all just free places to host independent open source projects. My original proposal was for a more active, development-driving type of organisation with more ties between the individual projects, which I thought would benefit from some "official" statement of support. "osdrawer" as a site doesn't really need official endorsement, they have no reason to care about the total number of developers using their services as the projects hosted there are largely independent of each other.

Simon

Karl