[openbeos] Re: Bounties

  • From: "Jonas Sundström" <jonas@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2007 16:13:48 +0200 CEST

Brian Verre <bverre@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > way for people to say "thank you", rather than saying
> > "work on this" and so putting more pressure on the
> > current developers.
>  We can easily do both.

I think the prize idea would be more acceptable to the developers, who
can continue steering their own work, choosing what to work on, how to
prioritize. Code work can stay incremental rather than be committed in
large batches. No synchronization necessary between work and reward.
Donation money can flow more continously. Less stockpiling of money and
code. No need to figure out if a bounty is complete or not.

> If I want to put a few bucks forward here and there as
> an incentive, thats my business. Everybody can work on
> what they want; bounties don't have to interfere.

The problem with bounties is that they probably will never reward the
work that most of the Haiku developers do most of the time. I think
there's a significant gap between what needs to be done and what most
people (think they) want done. The core Haiku developers work mostly on
what needs to be done the most.

I don't expect anyone to want to donate to a bounty for documentation,
but one could try, if donors agree,  to reward sizable contributions to
documentation.

> I don't buy into this pressure on the devs stuff

I think we've seen a couple of them express that they do feel pressure.
Beyond the general task of finishing Haiku, each developer is
responsible for his own components, and the related "tickets" in the
bug tracker which adds to each developer's workload. I fear we will see
a few more people burn out.

/Jonas.