[haiku] Re: Booting Haiku PPC

  • From: "Urias McCullough" <umccullough@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2008 08:36:39 -0800

On Sun, Nov 30, 2008 at 7:51 AM, Alan Burkes <firstakir@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> IIRC you currently can only build Haiku PPC on x86 via a PPC cross compiler.
>> At least the last time I tried, there were still some endian issues with the
>> build tools, namely the bfs_shell to create the image.
>

> Are you serious? Couldn't we just, like, compile GCC for PowerPC? Or
> was PPC unsupported in the version of PPC (which would be pretty
> mystifying because of BeOS' history, unless they used some proprietary
> compiler)? Or is it simply because we're using JAM (about which I
> still remain completely ignorant) to build our system?

While I'm not much of an expert on the topic, I suspect it's mostly
due to the number of custom tools that are compiled for the host
environment in order to build Haiku. There are tools that create BFS
images and populate them with Haiku binaries at build time, set their
mime types, attributes, etc. They are compiled with the host compiler
and headers, and thus must be written to be portable and support each
host environment. My guess is that several of these are not yet
endian-safe :(

I have heard at least one or two people in the past trying to get
Haiku compiled from a PPC host, with various issues cropping up. I
don't think they were ever resolved though.