[haiku] Re: Booting Haiku PPC

  • From: kallisti5 <kallisti5@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 02 Dec 2008 15:51:41 -0600

On Tue, 2 Dec 2008 21:09:25 +0000, Matt Emson <memsom@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
> On 2 Dec 2008, at 16:55, kallisti5 wrote:
>

>> I'm curious. Why is there such a push for Haiku on ADB/old world macs?
>
> G3 B&W (Blue and White) Macs tended to have ADB to begin with. ADB is
> a good idea in general, because there is working code kicking about
> the place. The stuff Be used was based on the MkLinux project, or so I
> have been told.

If it's easy fair enough.

>> The Old world rom is buggy and most upgrades to old world machines
>> are hacks
>> (G3 processor in the L3 cache card slot, etc) limiting their Haiku
>> performance/functionality. (Requiring a boot to MacOS 9 before booting
>> Haiku, etc)
>
> Not true. Most 603 and 604 desktop Macs in the 72xxx +, 82xxx + and
> 92xxx + series had their CPU's on daughter cards. All G3 and G4
> upgrades simply slot in to the same CPU slots. The original G3 series
> (including the Power Books) all have either daughter cards or ZIFF
> sockets. You can buy a beige G3 for under $20 and the hardware is
> dependable.

It was my understanding that ADB was only present on old-world Mac's (pre
G3 w/o  USB) There are a few G3 stragglers which were old-world ROM systems
but those were not produced for very long and not many exist (namely the
7300 based, G3 Desktop) (see
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_Apple_Macintosh_models)

>> Instead of working around the dated/buggy old world rom, maybe it
>> would be
>> best to focus new world open firmware machines? (imac+ in age)
>
> I shouldn't be an issue. A lot of people have done the hard work
> already by getting these Macs to boot OS X, a far choosier and mainly
> closed source OS.

I've heard several places that the old-world ROM was incomplete and bug
riddled.  It's also stated here: http://penguinppc.org/bootloaders/quik/

Also see wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_World_ROM
"
the Open Firmware implementation was just enough to enumerate PCI devices
and load the Toolbox ROM, and these Open Firmware revisions have several
bugs which must be worked around by boot loaders or nvramrc patches.
"

>> I admit, i used to love having my Performa 6400, but now it is
>> securely
>> stashed in a closet.
>
> Hmmm... 6400 was one of those odd Powemacs. My trusty old 9500 MP/180
> still boots BeOS quite happily for me.
>
>> Just a thought. Old imac's are cheap and plentiful on ebay and would
>> be
>> a-lot less hackish/buggy :P
>
> Not really. If you're going to buy something "worthwhile" you're still
> looking at more money than I'd be willing to put down on a used Mac.
> Where as I picked up a Powerbook G3 Wallstreet 2 for peanuts the other
> day. The Wallstreet runs Panther nicely and it's a very usable
> machine. I'd love to boot a BeOS alike OS on it.

Given the infancy of the Haiku-PowerPC Port, focusing on more stable/newer
Power hardware may be beneficial.

The user base for ADB based apple systems is small;
the user base for ADB based systems with G3 upgrade cards is smaller;
the user base of users with ADB based systems, G3 upgrade cards that work
as generic CPU upgrades is smaller.;

believed to be clean.