[haiku] Re: Booting Haiku PPC

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 01 Dec 2008 10:45:24 +0100 CET

"François Revol" <revol@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> > This is the result of booting in QEMU. I got a pink screen....nice.
> > this was the console outpu:
> Yes it seems the bootloader cannot access the page table and actually
> uses physical addresses or at least wrong addresses (it ends up
> writing
> to hardware regs).
> This is likely due to OpenHackware being too simple, it was just
> intended to boot linux and some others.
> Though it seems the Pegasos OF also had to be used in real mode... so
> don't know.

The Pegasos OF is also broken in many ways. I think the best way to
work around all these issues is to use the floppy boot mode for PPC
always, ie. have all files needed to boot packed into the boot loader
via tarfs. This is also how other systems usually boot, and minimizes
the use of OF functions.

Bye,
   Axel.