[haiku] Re: Booting Haiku PPC

  • From: Matt Emson <memsom@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2008 21:18:55 +0000

On 2 Dec 2008, at 17:13, François Revol wrote:

BFD (the library used by binutils) now supports PEF, no need for a
tool.
And we don't need to touch the kernel, just the bootloader.

The Idea was to use a stub Kernel in PEF format to chain the real one. That is what the Net BSD port did on the BeBox (because the BeBox ROM is in PEF format and is hard coded to open the boot partition and execute the kernel contained on it.) The Linux guys made a replacement boot rom (IIRC) which is bad, because it screws with BeOS running (or was in PLAN 9.. I forget) but the Net BSD guys chained a fake ROM on a BFS partition and then that opened the real kernel and went from there. I figure, if the BFS from BeOS PPC and the Haiku OpenBFS on PowerPC are compatible, a quick way to get a BeOS compatible Mac to boot the Haiku kernel might be to do something similar. But as I said at the time, I was slightly off my head on Lemsip, so it might have been a little fanciful.

So you would have :

MacOS -> BeBootloader -> FakeBootstrapKernel -> Virgin untouched Haiku Kernel on same partition.