[haiku] Re: Booting Haiku PPC

  • From: Axel Dörfler <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2008 12:08:20 +0100

kallisti5 wrote:
I was just pondering on this also, I recently acquired a G4 Apple
QuickSilver 2001 machine for cheap and would love to try and get Haiku
compiled for PPC. Compile environments for this machine when i receive it
could be OS X or Ubuntu 8.10 PPC,  not sure what to use yet.

IIRC you currently can only build Haiku PPC on x86 via a PPC cross compiler. At least the last time I tried, there were still some endian issues with the build tools, namely the bfs_shell to create the image.

It's my understanding that the bootloader for PPC Haiku is pretty far, but
there is a lot of kernel architecture-centric stuff to do.

Pretty much. You can boot using the OpenFirmware boot loader via the network, but the kernel will panic at some point, as it cannot find any boot devices; PCI support for PPC is just not there yet. IIRC the kernel itself already implements many PPC specific things besides userland stuff.

Bye,
   Axel.