[haiku] Re: Booting Haiku PPC

  • From: "François Revol" <revol@xxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 02 Dec 2008 18:13:02 +0100 CET

> Alan Burkes wrote:
> > On Mon, Dec 1, 2008 at 1:45 AM, Axel Dörfler <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> >
> >> The Pegasos OF is also broken in many ways. I think the best way
> >> work around all these issues is to use the floppy boot mode for
> > > PPC
> >> always....
> > But then again, Making Haiku more OF-Friendly would probably
> > require
> > changes in the Kernel, making so much more work needed, so it
> > doesn't
> > seem practical.
> >
> Wild thought from a slightly flu ridden mind: On Old World Macs
> (which I
> assume François was refering to) would it be possible to use the
> original Be Boot loader for PowerPC? I believe that if the BeOS can
> boot

The Be bootloader cannot run our kernel or vice versa.
The app used on Mac to bootstrap might, like BootX, but I don't think
they maintain the OF environment for us to use...

> on the hardware, the Be Boot loader should work "run" correctly. It
> uses
> some kind of enumeration thing on the Mac to discover the hardware,
> yes,
> but then does something like the BeBox ROM (because it was based on
> the
> same boot code, I believe) and it attempts to load the kernel from
> the
> boot partition, which then goes through a regular BeBox style boot
> process. So, this would need to be a PEF exe, but there on can do
> whatever. The crucial part here : either the LINUX or NetBSD BeBox
> projects (I think NetBSD) wrote a tool to convert ELF executables to
> PEF
> to allow LINUX to boot on the BeBox. It might work.

BFD (the library used by binutils) now supports PEF, no need for a
tool.
And we don't need to touch the kernel, just the bootloader.

François.