[haiku] Re: Booting Haiku PPC

  • From: Matt Emson <memsom@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 03 Dec 2008 09:53:57 +0000

Niklas Niklas wrote:
On Wed, 3 Dec 2008 00:24:38 +0000
Matt Emson <memsom@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

No, most of the G3's in the "translucent" iMac-esque designed cases had ADB too. I way "most" because I looked for a more definitive answer on EveryMac and found an asterix against the ADB with no explanation that I could see at to what it referred to. From memory, it was the G4 that fisrt removed ADB completely.

No iMac has USB. I have a rev. A motherboard in the other room.

Yeah, I don't find iMac's practical, so exclude them from the equation. I can't deal with their low res screens and CRT's make my eyes bleed these days.

At least some of the B&W G3 towers do, but they also have USB.

Well, yeah. That was the point. The ADB bus is still important.

As has been noted most of the laptops used ADB internally until
Intel. (Though I'm not sure the very last revisions such as my 12" 1.33
GHz iBook does.)

No idea. ADB is important though :-) With ADB, there's a lot more likelihood of getting something going quickly, and it also doesn't depend on the USB implementation working.

The other point - the Beige and B&W G3's have Apple style serial ports, so serial debugging will be a LOT more simple to implement. Debugging kernel issues with serial would be a whole lot simpler, surely?