[haiku] Re: Attribution for Haiku website design and theme

  • From: "Jorge G. Mare" <koki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 12 May 2010 12:51:54 -0700

Hi Ryan,

(2010年05月12日 10:53), Ryan Leavengood wrote:
On Wed, May 12, 2010 at 12:08 PM, Jorge G. Mare<koki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>  wrote:
At this point I don't expect you to ever get it nor acknowledge it, but I am
not spewing hatred as you want people to believe.
I don't think anyone will say that no mistakes have ever been made by
the project. But if that list of yours is the worst you can drudge up,
I think we are doing pretty good.

Cancelling WalterCon 2007 was certainly an unfortunate event, but it
wasn't just done to screw over the community. Few people had signed up
and with previous WalterCons having run at a loss or close (even with
a decent number of attendees), it was looking like WalterCon 2007
would be a huge monetary loss to the project. Since we are donation
driven it was important not to waste donated money to run a conference
for only a few people. It seems most people have gotten over that,
except for you it seems.

Oh, I am way over it. I just find it very twisted that a core developer will call me a lier who likes to spew hatred about current and past project leaders, when in fact what I have done was raise legitimate questions about what the project as a whole or some individuals have done or said.

That's why I bring this sort of thing up, again, because the people that accuse me of hatred can't even acknowledge that these were legitimate concerns, and instead keep calling me a lier who makes things up.

On the argument that the WalterCon cancellation was unfortunate but unavoidable for potential monetary losses, this is BS for the masses. The very same admins that decided to cancel the event at the last minute leaving people in the cold also decided to spend $1K+ to send Michael Phipps to San Francisco for a Bof in front of 3 people on the same week as WalterCon. So, if the money had already been spent to send Michael to the Bay Area, there is really no acceptable explanation for at least not trying to gather with the community members that got screwed up by the cancellation fiasco. This is a double slap in the face of the people that showed their commitment to the project.

The argument about low attendance is also tenuous at best. The event was canceled *before* the registration deadline, so they could have not know how many people would attend to make an intelligent decision. They just decided to pull the plug and let the chips fall as they may.

In the end, we had eight people gather at the FALTERCON event that we organized in lieu of the cancellation, which is not particularly low when compared to the previous year. If an impromptu event can gather 8 people, then I am sure there could have been more had the admins let the registration run its course.

Anyway, calling this utter screwup an "unfortunate even" is the understatement of the century. Please, put yourself in the position of those that committed to the event and were then left in the cold, and you will understand better.

As for the bounties, I think even Karl has to admit they have not
always been a massive success. Even for my WebKit bounty it took
another few years and a lot of hard work from Maxime and Stephan to
make a decent WebKit a reality on Haiku. But certainly progress has
been made in a few areas because of the bounties and quite a few
donations have come in though Haikuware, so for that we should thank
Karl for his work.

Whether the bounties were more or less successful is not that important. What matters is how poorly and unfairly the project leaders treated Karl with their insinuations of illegality and such. Stippi and his friends want people to believe that I make up these are stories out of hatred, but the truth is that they are part of the public that anyone can remit to.

And to those who like to spread the notion that people leave groups because of me: well, here you have a case where somebody was turned away from the project clearly for political reasons. Fortunately, this person had the persistence to come through on his own, but it does not have to be this way.

The rest of the list is almost all issues directly associated with
you, and your combative communication style. I'm sure this metaphor
will be lost on you, but you attract more flies with honey than
vinegar.

It is funny that you say that, because in many of the instances that I have raised an issue, you have actually supported my views and acknowledge the problem(s). I don't blame you for taking this position now; after all, it take guts to side with someone who the powers that are so keen to portray as the black sheep of the project. Welcome to the establishment!

Regards,

Jorge / aka Koki