[haiku] Re: 100 Haiku applications to download and try -Was BeOS compatibility

  • From: Sean Collins <smc.collins@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 08 Nov 2013 07:08:19 -0500

Stephan Aßmus wrote:
Hi,

Am 08.11.2013 um 00:56 schrieb Andrew Hudson <hudsonco1@xxxxxxx>:
Here's an article on Haiku applications I wrote for Alpha 3. About 100 apps. These apps need to be retested as things have changed since Alpha 3. https://docs.google.com/document/d/12cNnLS_c26Fo3RI2lh7vXdf50ZpU39IS6Qe2YSaG_a4/edit?authkey=CNKl5NsL

There are probably more on Haikuware but this is a good start.

There might be more on Haikuware, but I would probably reduce your list to less
than 20 apps that I would consider useful. Back in the BeOS days I closely
followed any application releases. There were some applications that showed
potential, some of those could be used to get actual work done, while at the
same time always lacking something critical. Most of the ones with potential
were too crashy. From the top of my head, this would be my list of stuff not
yet included in Haiku releases anyway:

Moho
GoBe Productive (but too buggy at least on Haiku)
ePicture
MeV (although too crashy)
Sequiture
Beam
BeShare
VLC
Transmission
Handbrake

There were also some sound related programs that were fun, some looked capable
but complicated (Q), some were only commercial demos.

What a lot of people like to ignore, especially Karl, is that many apps on
Haikuware were broken and incompatible before Haiku PM. Compiled for
non-official Haiku versions, like GCC4 based hybrids, compiled for nightlies,
and so on. The frequent breakage is exactly what PM is here to fix! Especially
via a cleaner separation of architectures (GCC2 vs. GCC4) and correct
declaration of dependencies.

That being said, I think we can do more to make many apps compatible out of the
box again, for example by fixing our PackageInstaller which handles .pkg files.
I don't know what can be done for the ones that unzip to /boot. They can
certainly be repackaged. It would also be nice if the Qt port could be
available via a proper package now. And SDL of course. Hopefully repackaging
many games and Qt apps will then lead to much less breakage going forward than
what was the case before PM. What the HaikuPorter toolchain and workflow does
in PM, is that it prevents developers and publishers from making errors. Like
for example having a lib installed that their app depends on, but not packaging
it. This is not possible anymore with the HaikuPorter way of compiling in a
clean chroot environment which only contains the stuff that the developers
thinks needs to be included. They will get a compile error if something is
missing now. In the end, the package will declare exactly the correc
 t dependencies. So no more missing libs for the user. The comments sections in
Haikuware are littered with issues like that, no? And that was before PM.

Best regards,
-Stephan

Most of the software on Haikuware is broken and useless. I'd say at best there are 100 useful functioning apps and 20-30 good ones. Most of the QT apps can be reported easily enough. I have much hand on experience as i personally tested many of these "3000" apps of which many are duplicates.

Sean