[haiku] Re: 100 Haiku applications to download and try -Was BeOS compatibility

  • From: Adrien Destugues <pulkomandy@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 08 Nov 2013 15:49:47 +0100

On 2013-11-08 at 15:27:34 [+0100], Jerry Babione <jerry.babione@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
> Adrien, You didn't read very well. I acknowledge that a Layman couldn't
> handle the process. The could if

> (1) the simplicity of the original PKG manager was preserved,

It is. How can we make it simpler than "drop app in /boot/system/packages." ?

> (2) The format was make standard as the PKG structures that do work.

The new format does not need the packages to be extracted. This results in
reduced disk space use, faster installation of Haiku (on my SSD, it takes
less than 5 seconds to run Installer now), and overall better speed for the
system as there are less disk access and they work on big files, which are
better handled by the filesystem and the hard disk cache.

There is one downside: boot time is slightly increased. But I boot my
computer only once a day, and I can live with the extra second it takes.

> (3) People would remember Change for Change sake isn't change at all...It
> creates more issues than it resolves.

Then keep using BeOS R5 (or anything older ?) and stop bothering us.
There was enough thinking and work thrown into this to make sure the changes
are worth it and there are as few downsides as possible.

(4) This is
> an old debate. I've been involved in it over the past 4 or 5 years. I
> stepped away when it seemed that people were choosing to keep what worked
> and not abandoning "Real and Working Applications" for something new,
> untried, and that hasn't survived the test of time. Do we have a
> Professional OS or do people want a Microsoft Clone that any Idiot uses
> without caring how it works!

We want an OS that you *can* use without caring how it works, that is,
something that "just works". But unlike Microsoft, we do this by actually
making things simple, not hiding complicated things under a simple-looking UI.

Yes, the package manager isn't the most simple solution, it may be a bit
confusing at first to understand these files are stored inside the packages,
yet visible in the system/ dir as if they were extracted. However, we are not
going to hide this to the users, but we will make it work so well they don't
have to look inside the system/ directory if they don't want to.

--
Adrien.