[haiku] Re: 100 Haiku applications to download and try -Was BeOS compatibility

  • From: Adrien Destugues <pulkomandy@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 08 Nov 2013 10:51:50 +0100

On 2013-11-08 at 10:31:18 [+0100], Stephan Aßmus <superstippi@xxxxxx> wrote:
> From the top of my head, this would be my
> list of stuff not yet included in Haiku releases anyway:
>
> Moho
> GoBe Productive (but too buggy at least on Haiku)
> ePicture
> MeV (although too crashy)
> Sequiture
> Beam
> BeShare
> VLC
> Transmission
> Handbrake

We have a Beam package already. Let's add sum-it and APlayer to that list.

> There were also some sound related programs that were fun, some looked
> capable but complicated (Q), some were only commercial demos.

We have Sawteeth, MilkyTracker and HivelyTracker available. Bringing back some
fun from the Amiga days can get us more users ;) (I know some people still
looking for that, at least).

> What a lot of people like to ignore, especially Karl, is that many apps on
> Haikuware were broken and incompatible before Haiku PM. Compiled for
> non-official Haiku versions, like GCC4 based hybrids, compiled for
> nightlies, and so on. The frequent breakage is exactly what PM is here to
> fix! Especially via a cleaner separation of architectures (GCC2 vs. GCC4)
> and correct declaration of dependencies.
>
> That being said, I think we can do more to make many apps compatible out of
> the box again, for example by fixing our PackageInstaller which handles
> .pkg files. I don't know what can be done for the ones that unzip to /boot.
> They can certainly be repackaged.

Some people seem to think creating a package is a boring and difficult task.
It's not, the "package" tool is almost as easy to use as "zip". There is a
package description to write, where you have to give some metadata about the
package. If you don't want to handle dependencies there, it's possible to get
away with just the package name, description, and license. Of course, be
prepared to handle complaints from users that your package is broken at the
first Haiku update.

> It would also be nice if the Qt port
> could be available via a proper package now. And SDL of course.

There is work in progress towards that (arfonzo is doing the Qt recipe, and
scott the SDL ones).

One problem we have right now is there is no user-friendly way to add a new
package repository, and the default one can't be updated, and packages have to
be added only by Haiku developers with commit access. This is a restriction we
have to remove before we consider any kind of release, if we want 3rd-party
apps to make use of the package system. There is always the option of adding
packages by hand, but this would prevent dependencies on anything not in the
main repo.

--
Adrien.