[haiku] Re: New "BeOSCompatibility" package for Haiku

  • From: fano il primo <fanoilprimo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 5 Nov 2013 23:58:06 +0100

The 90% was not a statistic value but an impression reading this article of
Haikuware:
http://www.haikuware.com/20131018619/package-management-breaks-3000-apps-on-haikuware

Karl was, obviously, angry and maybe it is a little exaggeration but how
much are the apps of Haiku? More than 3000? For real?

This the doubt of a user that considers itself a Programmer it was all of
this necessary? Could have not be done in more little steps?

Apple has changed OS, yes radically but the process was really gradual,
Classic was supported for years, Mac OSX worked in PPC until 3 years ago
and any PPC programs runned perfectly emulated in OSX until the last year!

Microsoft 8 supports some "dos" programs, too! A Windows 98 application? No
problem... (bad for the programmer? Sure but for "me" as the user?
Fantastic!).

We don't need another open source OS with an "unstable" interface that
continually change we have Linux for this!

By the way how you do package a software there's a GUI ore a commandline
tool? IMHO a lot of this *lamentation* is that it is annoying to do, simply
as that...

Maybe before make the user GUI for the Package Manager, could have sense to
create an IDE (or finish Paladin) to help the developer to create and / or
package the software?
IMHO Haiku needed this before but now it needs this *badly*, what do you
think?
It is possible to, in some, way automatize the packaging of a "bad
software"?

I want to be clear here* as a programmer I concord *with "The system must
be clean. Haiku shall be different from Linux! No files sparse in any
directories", *but not as a user*, well how do I install a zip package? The
FS is, practically Read only...