[haiku] Re: 100 Haiku applications to download and try -Was BeOS compatibility

  • From: Stephan Aßmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 8 Nov 2013 12:05:33 +0100

Hi,

Am 08.11.2013 um 10:51 schrieb Adrien Destugues <pulkomandy@xxxxxxxxx>:

> One problem we have right now is there is no user-friendly way to add a new
> package repository, and the default one can't be updated, and packages have
> be added only by Haiku developers with commit access. This is a restriction
> we
> have to remove before we consider any kind of release, if we want 3rd-party
> apps to make use of the package system. There is always the option of adding
> packages by hand, but this would prevent dependencies on anything not in the
> main repo.

Indeed. One of the many loose ends of HaikuDepot. What I also hate:

 * Three or more packages per piece of software. They should be combined by
default, with some setting so that you can configure to install "*_devel"
and/or "_source" along with the main app.

 * Some packages don't put a proper link in the Deskbar menu.

 * No obvious way to launch apps after they have installed.

 * Many other quirks…

No idea when I will have more time again to work on it.

Best regards,
-Stephan