[haiku-inc] Re: RFC: additions to Trademark policy

  • From: "Jonas Sundström" <jonas@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-inc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2010 18:35:01 +0200

Jorge G. Mare "Jorge G. Mare" <koki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Derivatives of the trademarks in the form of modified or combined logos
> with different colors, variations in the aspect ratio, fonts, etc. can
> also be problematic, as they could lead to the weaken the association
> between your visual identity and the high quality work that it is
> supposed to represent.
>
>  From the POV of trademarks as a means to generating revenue by the
> community, my position is that, like the code, the trademarks are also
> an asset of the community,

When copyright is assigned to Haiku Inc for any work (code, a logo, ..)
those are owned (held?) by Haiku Inc. They're Haiku Inc's assets and it
decides the terms of use. We can only hope to influence them and have
faith in that they act in the best interest of the larger Haiku community.
(Which likely is in its own interest, as the community funds it.)

> and thus the community should be allowed to
> generate revenue from it provided that they follow some sort of logo
> usage guidelines

I think it would slow down progress in the Haiku ecosystem to disallow
all commercial use of the trademarks. But I don't think it's worth
trying to come up with a bullet-proof policy that foresees all permitted
and all forbidden use of the trademarks.

I favor a more succint policy, seemingly more strict, but easier to
understand and to communicate:

- permission has to be asked for any/all use of the trademark(s)
- a swift evaluation process, defaulting to extending trust
- Haiku Inc aspires to grant permission for all acceptable use
- permission can & will be revoked if Haiku Inc is displeased
- Haiku Inc reserves the right to grant/deny/revoke as it pleases

Accompanied by guidelines:

A. Lists of -likely- acceptable/unacceptable uses

The examples are merely examples and do not constitute permission.
Haiku is free to discriminate from case to case. The list does not
have to be complete and it may be good to make it clear that it's not.

Exampels of likely acceptable uses
- user group website
- ...

Examples of likely unacceptable uses
- a distro name that doesn't follow Haiku's distro guidelines
- commercial use of the trademarks without a disclaimer
is ...

B. General recommendations
- if revenue is generated from use of the Haiku trademarks,
  a message saying "..." will have to be included on the webpage,
  or the storage media.

C. Graphics design recommendations
- do ...
- don't ...

Jorge G. Mare "Jorge G. Mare" <koki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> there should be some basic guidelines agreed upon by the body of
> contributors (which could be articulated in the HUG guidelines,
> the trademark policy and/or a combination of both) that the NPO
> can follow in weighing on whether to grant permission or not to
> each request.

I suppose it might be fruitful to make a HUG toolkit including a
nice website theme, but I'd rather not see any legal-ish HUG framework
for all endorsed HUGs to conform to. The former being proactive and
positive whereas the latter is just repressive IMO.

The trademark policy should really stand on its own.

Jonas/kirilla.
(not part of Haiku Inc)