[haiku-inc] Re: RFC: additions to Trademark policy

  • From: Ingo Weinhold <ingo_weinhold@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-inc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2010 11:12:28 +0200

On 2010-04-23 at 09:06:42 [+0200], Jorge G. Mare <koki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Matt Madia wrote:
> > On Fri, Apr 23, 2010 at 05:40, Jorge G. Mare <koki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> >> So, for example, a HUG selling their own Haiku t-shirts at conferences
> >> where
> >> they represent Haiku and using the revenue to pay for the expenses of
> >> attending the show is alright IMO.
> >>

> > This needs to be explicitly granted by the owners of the trademark.
> > This is not to say that only the NPO will be aware or part of the
> > discussion, rather that the owners are the only ones who can give the
> > official seal of approval to those requesting to use it.
>
> Just like the code, the trademarks are also contributions from
> volunteers. So even when Haiku Inc. does in fact hold ownership from a
> legal POV, the body of contributors should also have a say on how the
> trademarks are used, and it should not be at the exclusive discretion of
> the NPO.

Apples and oranges. By putting the code under the MIT license the
contributors have explicitly allowed anyone to use it on very lax
conditions. Neither the code contributors nor Haiku, Inc. nor "the
community" (whoever this might be) have any further say in how the code is
used.

My stance regarding trademark and fund management: That's what Haiku, Inc.
was created for. The NPO is the legal owner of both and its BOD should make
the decisions. I'm all for discussing matters publicly, but I wouldn't even
see how to organize that "contributors have a say". A vote? Then who is to
vote? And how much weight do money donors' votes have? Maybe one vote per
$20? Does booth manning time count? How much are artwork contributions
worth?

IMO, the easiest way is to keep things mostly one-way: Contributors
contribute (and discuss), Haiku, Inc. decides. If you're not happy with a
decision, voice your opinion. If you're repeatedly unhappy, stop
contributing.

CU, Ingo