[haiku-inc] Re: RFC: additions to Trademark policy

  • From: "Jorge G. Mare" <koki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-inc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2010 06:36:58 -0700

Hi Axel,

Axel Dörfler wrote:
Ingo Weinhold <ingo_weinhold@xxxxxx> wrote:
On 2010-04-25 at 22:45:53 [+0200], Axel Dörfler <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
Ingo Weinhold <ingo_weinhold@xxxxxx> wrote:
IMO, the easiest way is to keep things mostly one-way: Contributors contribute (and discuss), Haiku, Inc. decides. If you're not happy
with a
decision, voice your opinion. If you're repeatedly unhappy, stop
contributing.
The solution is pretty simple actually: make the Haiku Inc. members be elected from time to time. That's about what the community should be able to decide - the rest should be in the hands carrying out the work.
I'm not sure, whether that would be legally possible. At least it would require a change of the bylaws. Anyway, the question remains: Who is "the community"?

Community was a misnomer; I meant the voting body of Haiku, ie. its active contributors.

And so did I.

I think this would be the best setup, although it probably doesn't make much sense currently, given the size of the project.

This is already how it works with development related issues, where the developers that have earned commit access have the right to vote. If it works for developers in development, I don't see why it would not work for people who contributions in other areas of the project too.

The obvious candidates would be those who have made prominent contributions to the project, say, for example, Humdinger (User Guide), Scott (ports), Travis Reed (HTA development), WinDuv (User Guide translation system), perhaps the translation leaders, etc. I probably forget others, but this is not something that would be difficult to figure out (we can even use the same method for developers, where existing contributors can propose their peers for contributor status).

Because of our record of contributions, myself and a few others have been given the chance to vote on occasion. And while that is certainly nice, our ability to vote has never been formalized, so it feels as if it were up to the mood of the moment on whether we can participate or not. This is really skewed, because some of us have made as many or maybe even more contributions that some of the people who do get to vote. That's what I call being considered a class contributor.

Regards,

--
Jorge/aka Koki
Website: http://haikuzone.net