[haiku-doc] Re: Another try at user guide translations

  • From: "Humdinger" <humdingerb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-doc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 18 Oct 2009 17:06:52 +0200

Hi Vincent!

-- Vincent Duvert, on Sun, 18 Oct 2009 13:46:02 +0200:
> - I tried to add an Haiku-ish look to the document list page and the
> forms items. It is far from perfect, but is a bit less ugly than the
> previous (lack of) style :-p
> Here is a screenshot:
> http://img43.imageshack.us/img43/8647/capturedcran20091018121.png

Very nice!

> - When exporting, only the documents that changed will be
> regenerated.

OK!
One question: Did you also implement generating a contributer list for
the header of each assembled HTML? I.e. something like "Original
authors: %names-of-english-version%" and "Translation by: %names-all-
block-translators%".
Or do you track contributions in some table, as we discussed a while
back?

Correct attribution is the least we have to offer the volunteer
translators/authors.
OTOH, I dunno if this should delay us any further. Maybe this could be
added later?

> So now let's try to get this into production :)

Exactly!

We still need a style guide for every language, like I posted for
German a while back. It doesn't have to be long and complete, as it
will be extended over time, I bet.

For now, I'd like to have a link to it from the translation panel.
Later it will probably be put into a wiki.

We also need a "language manager" for every language. Just someone, who
reads what his collegues have written and welcomes new translators and
shows them the ropes. If you're the sole translator for your language,
congrats, you're it! You can try to shift the responsibility to a
newcomer later. :)

At the moment we have:

French:
Remi Grumeau

German:
Humdinger

Indonesian:
Dityo Nurasto

Italian:
Miguel Zuniga
Andrea Bernardi

Russian:
HaikuBot
Dmitry Belyaev

Spanish:
Oscar Carballal Prego
Miguel Zuniga

Swedish:
Jimmy Olsson

We still don't have admin-created mailing lists for you to discuss
style things, so I suggest you work among yourselves (there aren't that
many teams yet) and post your results here. As soon as the lists exist,
you can take the discussion there.

Thanks everyone!

Regards,
Humdinger