[haiku-doc] Re: Another try at user guide translations

  • From: Vincent Duvert <vincent.duvert@xxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-doc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 27 Aug 2009 10:11:59 +0200

Hello again!

It has taken more time than I though, but the translate tool is now feature complete! (or close...) Following Humdinger's suggestion, I added an editor to make small, in- block edits.
But the big part was, of course, SVN integration ;)
It is used
- to keep track of file edits : Edited files are committed to a SVN repository (local or remote, but this one should probably stay local since the files inside are only useful for the translate tool). Commits can be reverted from the "full edit" tool.

- to export the generated documentation files to another repository (Haiku's one, for instance).

So there won't be a problem using the stuff in Haiku's SVN? No possible awkwardness when things change in SVN without going through the Translation site?

There will be no awkwardness since any modification made on the repository will be overwritten :-] Unfortunately, trying to merge the changes would be difficult. Nevertheless, if that happens, it would be possible to get a SVN diff and apply it manually in the full edit tool.

Although all of this still needs more testing, I think we're getting close.

I have updated the CSS file used on translate.haikuzone.net to the newest version from Haiku's SVN ; the documentation pages will also need updating. I've got a question : How is the top navigation bar generated in the files ? Is it automatic ?
The translate tool needs something like this in the pages it imports :
<!-- LANG_MENU(../path/to/the/en/page.html,../path/to/the/{LANG}/ page.html,../path/to/images/flags) -->

<!-- NAVIGATION(../path/to/level/ up.html,path_to_previous_page.html,path_to_next_page.html) -->
so if a special version of the Haiku documentation with this in place of the normal topnav could be generated automatically, it would save me some work ;-)

I also have other suggestions about the updated documentation theme, but I'll put them in a separate email :)

Vincent