[haiku-doc] Re: Another try at user guide translations

  • From: "Humdinger" <humdingerb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-doc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 23 Sep 2009 11:00:32 -0700 (PDT)

-- Vincent Duvert, on Wed, 23 Sep 2009 18:25:52 +0200:
> OK, I'm back on the translate tool :)
> Sorry for the long delay, I was focused on other projects... But
> well,
> although there are still some things to check, I think that we could
> start translating very soon.

Very good! :)

> - I made some changes to the current layout in order to allow the max
> /
> min-width trick without using a background image.
> I also tried to put the "USER GUIDE" text from the logo to the page
> itself, to avoid having a different image for each language. It works
> quite well, although the the text is not displayed identically in all
> browsers. Let me know what you think of this.

Looks very nice! I really have no opion concerning "user guide" being
text or part of the logo. Both have advantages and disadvantages...
BTW, (can't check under BeZilla) is printing handled, i.e. is the logo+
header+nav hidden when printing?

> - The main document title is in a <div class="title">, and the
> sections titles are <h1>. What about changing this to <h1> and <h2>
> respectively ? (and <h2> to <h3>, and so on).

That's OK by me if the style is also moved along, i.e. the style (size,
decor...) of what's now <h1> will then be <h2> etc.

> - The "&#160;" entities found in the headers/footers could be
> replaced
> with real non-breakable spaces. This would be nicer IMHO.

OK.

> - I decided to change my export code so it won't require the <!--
> NAVIGATION(...) --> comment anymore, but will work directly on the
> HTML code. So for instance, it will replace something this:

OK.

> And finally: how will we make the switch to release mode ? I guess we
> could stay on translate.haikuzone.net (and maybe change its name to
> documentation.haikuzone.net
>   since it will also be used to edit the documentation). In any case,
> it would be nice to have some sort of automated DB backup, in case
> something goes wrong ;-)

I think Jorge and the other guys of the web team should decide that.
(Are you reading this, Jorge?)

If I'm not mistaken, the results of our translation, the exported HTML,
will be transferred to a SVN and are pulled from there for the official
on/offline user guide. Which means, that the translation site doesn't
necessarily be a part of Haiku-os.org. But it could...
Maybe we should ask the OSDrawer guys if we can use their SVN for our
data. If we pull out from Haiku's SVN, we're save from any accidental
commits from anyone.

> About the export process: Do we need something other than generating
> the documentation files and sending them to an SVN repository ? The
> translate tool could probably also create an optional package.

If that's easily done, I'm all for it. Makes it easy for everyone
building Haiku images and for installing more languages on a running
system.

Regards,
Humdinger

Deutsche Haiku News @ http://www.haiku-gazette.de