[haiku-doc] Re: Another try at user guide translations

  • From: Humdinger <humdingerb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-doc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 29 Aug 2009 12:17:01 +0200

Vincent Duvert wrote:
Now, that we don't have any language-dependent words like "previous" and "next" in there, is that really necessary?

The translators would still have to translate the page names... And I see two problems : - Since the paragraph that contains the navigation bar is considered as one translatable block, the translators would have to deal with something like this:
        &#160;&#160;::&#160;&#160;
which is not very easy to translate.
- We could end up having, for instance, different translation for the "Contents" link title...

OK, I see.

- The "Haiku user guide" logo image has a color profile attached, so it is not displayed with the same background color as the rest of the header in some browsers. The color profile can be removed with this method for instance: http://www.kaktus.cc/weblog/png_and_color_profiles/. By the way, the header background is #efefef, whereas the image seems to use #eeeeee.

Interesting. I pngcrushed the logo as mentioned on that site and corrected
the CSS background to #eeeeee.

- An image is used to extend the header to the page border. That could probably be done in pure CSS... I will have a look.

There's also an issue with the bottom-nav bar that doesn't stretch to the page
borders.
If you find a solution, fine, however IMO it's a rather minor detail that can
wait.

- Some pages have XML errors that prevent them to be imported in the translate tool: these are mostly unclosed tags and direct use of special characters (<, >, &). It also complained about some HTML character entities, like "&larr;" or "&eacute;", probably because the real character can be used without issues. This patch (against r32801) should fix them all : http://dl.free.fr/ovxe3P09I

Thanks very much. Patch applied with r32804.

- Since every page will have a language switch menu, what about replacing userguide/languages.html with contents.html ? For the links in contents.html, we could use something like this : '<a href="{LANG_CODE}/bootloader.html">Boot Loader</a>'.

Or we'll just put a link there to the {LANG_CODE}/contents.html.
Question is, if every additional language becomes an Optional Package, the last installed language will always overwrite the link with a link to its contents.html...

Or we'll have each OptionalPackage put it's own contents.html-link there an name it [LANG_CODE]-contents.html, e.g. en-contents.html, de-contents.html, fr-contents.html...
or the filename itself is in the specific language: contents.html, inhalt.html,
sommaire.html.
I'm also for flags as individual icons of those files.

Regards,
Humdinger

Deutsche Haiku News @ http://www.haiku-gazette.de