[haiku-development] Re: HaikuPorts logo

  • From: Stephan Assmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 08 Jun 2008 00:47:33 +0200

Brecht Machiels wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-06-06 at 18:29 -0700, Jorge G. Mare (aka Koki) wrote:
> > I already responded to you on this matter on the BePorts list, but I
> > will repeat it here in case you did not understand.
>
> I am sorry, but it was you yourself who referred me to this mailing list!
> Can I take it then that your statement is representative of the view of
> the Haiku team?

If nobody voices a different opinion, then usually yes. I guess it is safe
to say that nobody wants you to feel alienated or anything. I hope Jorge's
offers to help with the theme and his logo design work are proof of that.
We are just taking a conservative/careful approach to making our website
design available to others, it's more about possibly regretting it later
when more people ask then about the case at hand.

> > If HaikuPorts were to became an official part of the Haiku project,
> > then using the Haiku logo would be acceptable. If you would like to
> > take that course, please ask the devs on the development mailing list
> > (personally, I think it would be a good thing, but it is the devs' call
> > to make).
>
> What would be the practical consequences of HaikuPorts becoming an
> official part of the Haiku project? If it's just an empty construct to
> solely enable the use of the Haiku logo, it seems a bit silly to me :)

Well, I guess we are very open minded towards any more "official" way of
collaborating. In any case, you guys do an awesome job as is, and at least
from my limited view point, it looks like there is a lot of fruitful
collaboration via our bug tracker already. If you have any ideas how we
could improve all that, please let us know! (Besides fixing issues
faster... :-)

> > Otherwise, you would have to use an alternative logo, such as the one
> > that I created or another one of your liking.
>
> The logo with the app icon seems to be popular (I like it too). I
> suggest we make use of that one. I agree with Andreas to make "ports"
> bolder however.

Yes, it's quite nice! I actually did like the bug version on first sight
too! :-)

> However, I assume that the app icon is also Haiku property? Is it OK to
> use it in the HaikuPorts logo?

The icons are free to re-use. Personally, I would hope that they don't get
spread too much outside the Haiku world, but we made a consious decision
not to limit their use. They should be used with the same obligations that
the MIT license defines. Only the logo itself and the name are protected.

Best regards,
-Stephan