[haiku-development] Re: HaikuPorts logo

  • From: Andreas Färber <andreas.faerber@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 8 Jun 2008 12:38:56 +0200

Hi,

Am 08.06.2008 um 03:49 schrieb Jorge G. Mare:

What would be the practical consequences of HaikuPorts becoming an
official part of the Haiku project?

In very broad terms, it would mean aligning to the core goals of the project. In a nutshell, that means a commitment to focus specifically on the advancement the Haiku.

That's what I feared as answer.

-1 from me.

BePorts/HaikuPorts has been a community effort from the start, with contributors (volunteers) working on ports they are interested in. To make it a really successful project, I believe this is the road to follow. Scott and Luc for instance have been working on paving the way for more games to be ported to Haiku, while I have more focused on development-related tools, as a whole already covering a large number of diverse ports. We have been looking into Haiku's needs and contributing back to Haiku where we could. For just porting the couple of ports strictly necessary for building and running (advancing) Haiku, HaikuPorts seems 'overkill' - Ingo had been doing that in Haiku's SVN before. And having Haiku Inc. decide what ports we are allowed to or supposed to touch does not sound intriguing at all. If there's something Haiku needs, Ingo would probably know, or we'd probably learn it here, and otherwise our mailing list has been open to everyone for ports to be proposed, contributed or discussed.

I strongly believe that in the status quo Haiku and HaikuPorts projects can get along quite well, without being official part of the Haiku project. HaikuPorts is already de facto being recognized as a useful resource for the Haiku project and community, as shown among others by Ingo's and Koki's contributions.

And with some projects already willingly accepting upstream patches for Haiku support, the amount of porting activity for software Haiku itself needs is likely to decrease anyway, once those projects release new versions featuring Haiku support out-of-the-box.

Andreas