[haiku-development] Re: HaikuPorts logo

  • From: "Jorge G. Mare (aka Koki)" <koki@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 06 Jun 2008 21:09:12 -0700

Howdy,

scott mc wrote:
On Fri, Jun 6, 2008 at 7:31 PM, Ryan Leavengood <leavengood@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Fri, Jun 6, 2008 at 9:39 PM, Jorge G. Mare (aka Koki)
<koki@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
BTW, attached are the logos that I created for the ports site, and that I
sent to the BePorts mailing list.
Those look good. I think it is important that projects associated with
Haiku develop their own unique visual identities, even as tempting as
it may be to borrow elements from the rather nice Haiku visual
identity. We eventually want a thriving community with many varied
projects and pieces of software and it would get pretty boring if
their websites and logos all looked the same.

I think the many varied Haiku vector icons, our BeOS heritage and the
general concepts behind the idea of haiku poems provides plenty of
inspiration, without anything from Haiku itself having to be directly
copied.

Ryan

Nicely put Ryan.  I personally like the top one Koki made, except the
blocks look more like 3 hexagons rather than 3 3-d cubes.

That's actually the app icon overlay from the Haiku icon set. :)

Since most
of the ports so far would have the default 3cube icon, it would
probably fit just right for our needs.

Tha attached graphic includes a version of the logo with the 3-cube app icon.

BTW, the reason I created the logos that I posted to this list is because I thought I could make a contribution to HaikuPorts. It's OK if you don't use them because you don't like them. But please, don't drop them in an act of emotional rebellion because you did not like my response; that does not help anyone.

I do understand the desire to use the Haiku logo in a situation like this (I really do); but I also know what an "open for anyone to use" policy can lead to, which is why we take the position expressed in my previous email. Please do not interpret this as a lack of recognition for your work/project. :)

On a more general note, as Ryan very well put it, we want an ecosystem to bloom around Haiku. But we also want to make sure that we protect the integrity of our marks and brand. It's a tricky balance, and sometimes we may have to take certain positions that may not be very popular; but you can never please everyone, can you? ;)

Cheers,

Koki

PNG image