[haiku-development] Re: HaikuPorts logo

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 08 Jun 2008 13:18:04 +0200 CEST

Andreas Färber <andreas.faerber@xxxxxx> wrote:
> Am 08.06.2008 um 03:49 schrieb Jorge G. Mare:
> >> What would be the practical consequences of HaikuPorts becoming an
> >> official part of the Haiku project?
> > In very broad terms, it would mean aligning to the core goals of
> > the
> > project. In a nutshell, that means a commitment to focus
> > specifically on the advancement the Haiku.
> That's what I feared as answer.

It's just a matter of definition; you could easily argue that every
port in existence advance Haiku in some way.

[...]
> For just porting the couple of ports strictly necessary for building
> and running (advancing) Haiku, HaikuPorts seems 'overkill' - Ingo had
> been doing that in Haiku's SVN before. And having Haiku Inc. decide
> what ports we are allowed to or supposed to touch does not sound
> intriguing at all.

It's not the role of Haiku Inc. to dictate any such thing; it's an
organisation to support the development of Haiku, and give it a legal
entity - as such, it does own the trademarks to the Haiku logo.
It also does not influence the direction of the development of Haiku in
any way (other than funding a specific direction), and it would also
not influence a hypothetically assimilated HaikuPorts; only the people
actually working on this project would set the direction.
So if we (ie. the Haiku developers and the HaikuPorts developers) would
think it's a good idea to make HaikuPorts a part of Haiku, then so be
it. I guess what Jorge meant with the above is just that the Haiku
developers probably wouldn't be interested to make HaikuPorts a part of
Haiku if it also contained ports for other operating systems like MacOS
X, or, let's say RiscOS.

While making HaikuPorts part of the Haiku project would also answer the
question of wether HaikuPorts could use the Haiku logo, that certainly
shouldn't be the driving force behind it.

Bye,
   Axel.