[haiku-development] Re: Ctrl+Alt window management functionality

  • From: Ingo Weinhold <ingo_weinhold@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2013 11:28:44 +1300

Humdinger <humdingerb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>I'd also like to suggest considering to keep the current resize zones
>and the right-click-resizing as it's now. This will always be a
>"hidden" feature, because people don't usually stumble upon holding
>CMD+CTRL while watching the mouse pointer. Given this, they have to
>read about it somewhere. It's just easy for them to remember that
>left=moving, right=resizing.
>Being able to move a window by grabbing it anywhere without having to
>aim outside resize zones feels to me like a big advantage, esp. if the
>window is partially hidden.

Agreed. The current behavior makes moving the interesting area of a partially
hidden window into view wonderfully convenient. With the proposed change you
would potentially have to click the window to the front first, then move it
(with additional care, since you no longer see what is hidden) and click it to
the back again (or worse: other windows to the front).

It would generally make the move operation less efficient, as Humdinger points
out. Having to pause a moment to look first that the right operation is going
to happen is one thing I don't like that much about the current resize
implementation either. But I didn't like the possible alternatives (like
resizing the border in whose direction the mouse is moved initially) any better.

>To graphically show those zones instead of border highlighting and
>changing the mouse pointer is still a good idea.

+1. The lame border highlighting was just me being lazy.

>On Fri, 18 Jan 2013 09:41:42 -0500 EST Alexander G. M. Smith wrote:
>> Or hitting ESC while doing the resize
>> could cancel it?  Or does any other OS have a way of doing a cancel
>> that we can borrow?
>
>I never had that problem (or didn't mind a window accidentally
>moved/resized a few pixels), but having ESC while dragging aborting the
>action sounds good to me.

+1

CU, Ingo