[haiku-development] Re: Ctrl+Alt window management functionality

  • From: "Humdinger" <humdingerb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2013 17:52:18 +0100

Hi!

Great that you'll work on this, John!

On Fri, 18 Jan 2013 11:54:08 +0100 Axel Dörfler wrote:
> I think the right button resize is efficient, but not very intuitive.
> Maybe even weird, as Ryan puts it :-)
> I could imagine your solution works well, but I would have to see it
> in
> action to be sure. It shouldn't lose too much of the efficiency of
> the
> current solution.

Yes. Personally, I've become really used to the right-click-resizing. I
do that just as much as left-click-moving. I think a 32px resize zone
is much to small. Maybe double or triple that... A settings file while
figuring out the right size may be convenient.

I'd also like to suggest considering to keep the current resize zones
and the right-click-resizing as it's now. This will always be a
"hidden" feature, because people don't usually stumble upon holding
CMD+CTRL while watching the mouse pointer. Given this, they have to
read about it somewhere. It's just easy for them to remember that
left=moving, right=resizing.
Being able to move a window by grabbing it anywhere without having to
aim outside resize zones feels to me like a big advantage, esp. if the
window is partially hidden.

To graphically show those zones instead of border highlighting and
changing the mouse pointer is still a good idea.

On Fri, 18 Jan 2013 09:41:42 -0500 EST Alexander G. M. Smith wrote:
> Or hitting ESC while doing the resize
> could cancel it?  Or does any other OS have a way of doing a cancel
> that we can borrow?

I never had that problem (or didn't mind a window accidentally
moved/resized a few pixels), but having ESC while dragging aborting the
action sounds good to me.

Regards,
Humdinger

      Deutsche Haiku News  -  Haiku Gazette