[gmpi] Re: Topic 6: Time representation

  • From: "Silver Blade" <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 11 May 2003 21:40:57 +0100

Yes, and the reason it doesn't work as well with other buffer sizes is
because it's unstable, perhaps?

> > The more common way to do this is to simply do a buffer copy on the
> > TIME_CRITICAL thread. After all, with 500 ms latency, whats a little
> > more or less.
>
> this is not the recommandation of the AudioBoard Manufacturers. They
usually
> recommand to process right now when receiving event from the audiodriver.
> (because this event is already an event and not an interrupt). So it makes
> no sens to copy the buffer and Set an other event to start an other thread
> to process this buffer.

A recommendation is a guideline, not a rule. I might recommend that you stop
trying to tell everyone else that what they're saying is wrong, but that
doesn't mean that you have to, for example.

When a buffer is given to a callback mechanism, the buffer needs to be
processed by the next buffer switch. "Now" is a good time to do it, but we
can do it any time between now and when the next buffer switch is about to
occur.

> i've also tried this method , cutting big buffer into small ones in order
> spread the processing in the time , is very hard to synchronize, in fact
you
> lose time and reliability... this is not the good way in my opinion.

Reliability can only be affected by the programmer. If you program reliably,
your program will be reliable.

> >(whether or
> > not that is the case). Others may disagree with you (certainly they
> > occasionally disagree with me), but this does not make them stupid,
> > lazy, or any of the other invectives which you seem to cast about
freely.

> Ok, All that i'm talking about has been programmed, tested and often
> measured. So i can try to explain my desagreement , to explain why, and
> finally if you still don't understand my point of view, i can try to give
> you the key to check some points, and invite you to make some
> experimentation and test. But if you even don't want to do that ! what can
> do !? .except saying a small word ?. :-)

But there's a problem... It's not particularly relevant to GMPI!

-SB