[gmpi] Re: Topic 6: Time representation

  • From: "Todor J. Fay" <todor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2003 11:49:15 -0700

> > I was writing up a lengthy email to say the same thing that Ron just
> > said so succinctly. Any MIDI processors that manipulate the time
stamp
> > typically want to work in music time and they should be able to do
so
> > with simplicity and confidence, not worrying about tempo changes
that
> > may occur later.
>
> They can, by not delivering events until the right time to deliver
that
> event. You end up with MIDI processors that look a lot more like audio
> processors, with a synchronous render-callback. Genuine question to
MIDI
> developers: on current CPUs, is this a Really Bad Thing?

Sure, but that's suddenly a lot more work for the plug in. With music
time stamps on events, you simply change the time stamp and toss the
event back. The code to keep track of a list of one or more events and
then put them in the stream at the right time is clearly a hell of a lot
more work, and it would seem more logical to have the host doing that in
the first place (which is exactly what my old moldy geriatric long time
ago systems Bars&Pipes, and more recently DirectMusic do.)

Also, synchronous call don't always work. For example, with quantize,
you need to move the time stamp forward or backwards, so it needs to be
presented a reasonably safe time span ahead of render time, or it's not
going to work.

If manipulating time is easy and musical, you get very creative plug ins
coming out of the woodwork (and indeed we did with Bars&Pipes - hundreds
of plugins from all over the place that did all kinds of creative insane
things that really worked, and rarely crashing the computer because the
code was so simple to write.)

Todor