[gmpi] Re: Topic 6: Time representation

  • From: RonKuper@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2003 13:38:32 -0400

No... some applications need absolute time to be absolute. 32-bit unsigned
might be enough

32-bit unsigned isn't even enough.  Video post guys are used to working on a
24 hour timeline that wraps around.  You can *just* squeeze 24 hours into 32
bits @ 44kHz, but no higher rate.

Sounds good to me.
<<<

It seems to me that XAP's approach is that all changes happen "just in
time".  That way you get the same experience live vs. streamed, I suppose.
A standalone hardware unit doesn't know about a tempo map, so why should a
standalone soft synth?

OTOH, plugins will be hosted in apps that have timelines and conductor
tracks.  There might be some benefit in this context to allow for conversion
anywhere along the timeline (for tempo sync effects, generative effects,
etc).  So to restrict the model to say "there is no future" seems, well,
perhaps too restrictive.