[gmpi] Re: Topic 6: Time representation

  • From: Frederic Vanmol <frederic@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, RonKuper@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2003 20:01:32 +0200

> I wasn't suggesting we emulate or repeat the DXi model.  Events with
> durations are unavoidable IMO.  It's not only note events.  It could also
> be "shape events", segments of an evolving parameter change such as a
> volume increase.  These things exist in DirectX today.  Not to assume we'll
> agree to make it the same in GMPI, but there are also benefits to both
> approaches.

I don't think they're unavoidable. At least, the plugin doesn't necessarily
need to know about the length of all such events. The host could abstract it
in most cases (if not all).

For the example of note events, it's perfectly possible for the host to send a
note on and a note off, like in MIDI, without the need for a note duration.

I could be missing some cases where this doesn't work, but in general I don't
see any problems. Besides, it's not like it's possible to know when all
events will happen before they do. Imagine the case of a user pressing a
button, triggering an event. You can't foresee that. So if a plugin can
handle user-triggered events at any time, it should IMO be able to handle
host-triggered events at any time (duration or no duration).

Frederic