[gmpi] Re: Topic 6: Time representation

  • From: "Angus F. Hewlett" <amulet@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2003 14:54:41 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 29 Apr 2003 RonKuper@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> I suppose you could also send shape events down with each processing frame,
> providing as part of the shape event the start/end time, the shape, and the
> current position of the processing frame within the shape.  That way the
> plugin doesn't need to cache shapes until they expire a la DirectX, yet it
> can still faithfully render the shape as it was intended.

That's probably the easiest way to do it if we decide to implement
parameter ramps, as it provides a fairly straightforward way to handle
mid-slice song discontinuities as well.

> If you don't implement parameter ramps, then "dezippering" becomes optional.

True. Perhaps dezippering -should- be optional? For some classes of plug,
especially at the low end, it wouldn't appear to matter that much when
running at the small blocksizes that many people use. It's non-trivial for
plugin developers to implement CPU-efficient dezippering for some kinds of
algorithm, and there is always a tradeoff between mandated minimum quality
of the plugin type, and development simplicity. I'd be inclined to side
with development simplicity on this one, though others may disagree.

> If the host wants a volume change without clicks, and it sends a ramp to the
> plugin, the plugin needs to perform the ramp.  This is the kind of behavior
> that can be tested for in a standard test harness to validate plugins for
> spec conformance.

How, when we (as test rig authors) don't know what kind of transform the
plugin is supposed to be dezippering? All we can validate is that an
immediate parameter change produces different output to a ramped parameter
change.

Regards,
        Angus.