[gmpi] Re: Topic 6: Time representation

  • From: "Angus F. Hewlett" <amulet@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2003 09:07:48 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 29 Apr 2003 RonKuper@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Is time represented as samples or "ticks" or both/neither?

Both, when available. I think we have to expect that some hosts may not
be able to provide comprehensive time information, but also that some
plugins may not be able to function completely without it.

> How are discontinuities in the timeline expressed?

We have to be careful with this... it may make sense to think of two
timelines, a "song" timeline which can and does loop back, and a "stream"
timeline which is always linear between stream resets. The API must make
the relationship between these two extremely clear.

Either the host should provide a reliable mechanism for converting from
song time to stream time and vice versa, or should always deliver events
timestamped in stream time. I generally favour the latter unless there are
good reasons to the contrary (Ron: DXi uses a "song time" model, are
there some advantages for this when dealing with certain kinds of event
data e.g. lyric information?).

Regards,
        Angus.