[gmpi] Re: Topic 6: Time representation

  • From: "Silver Blade" <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 10 May 2003 19:09:49 +0100

> > There is a fairly easy way to combat this clock drift, and that is to
base
> > timings on the buffer-switches, rather than just by programming the
> > multimedia timers.
>
> yes i know this way. but the purpose here is to work with big audio buffer
,
> so means not many buffer switch per second, so means no enough precision
> timestamp incoming event with a clock based on the audio stream... That's
> why i asked ! how to timestamp Event coming from whatever inside or
outside
> the PC in this case with usual O/S.

You do understand what latency is caused by, don't you?

Big audio buffers = higher latency (longer wait until next buffer-switch)
Small audio buffers = lower latency (shorter wait until next buffer-switch)

I think you're misunderstanding what we're talking about here. I assume the
"big audio buffer" you mention is the timeline of the host application.
Plugins don't need to know about every event, unless they want to. The host
application is responsible for working with buffers, getting timing right,
etc.

All GMPI needs to know is how time is represented on the side of the host
and plugin, and possibly be able to convert between the formats both use.
So, the current ms time could be converted into music time.

Plugins simply process whatever buffers are passed to them, of whatever size
(probably determined by the host.) We don't need to worry about timing
mechanisms, we just need to worry about how time is represented with hosts
and plugins.

> > > imagine if only one popular Native platforms was working 100% ! this
> would
> > > be great
> > > ! isn't it ! :-))
> >
> > So you think nobody should be allowed choice, and we should all use the
> same
> > computers and software?
>
> no ! please, try to understand this joke  ! :-)

I didn't realise it was a joke???

-SB