[gmpi] Re: Requirements

  • From: Paul Davis <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2003 08:46:26 -0500

>At this point I fear that the X toolkit issues may have to be marked down
>for a "fix this later".

i agree, for now. i'm also asking on a few other lists to see where
the most significant toolkits are with respect to these issues now.

>Question to Tim/Paul: how is stuff like image processing plugins, browser
>plugins (java applets embedded in web pages? flash? acrobat reader
>plugin?) supported on X? That would seem to run up against the same
>problem as GMPI seems to face.

the image processing plugins that i know of (say, for GIMP) don't have
GUIs: they are just code, they use a defined API to modify the data,
and the host redisplays the data. But note: plugins for the GIMP are
just that; nobody expects them to work with any other "host"
program. Audio plugin users have different expectations, so our
plugins can't pull off host-specific designs and expect to be
popular. In fact, has anybody heard of any image processing plugin
API for any platform that is cross-host?

however, your point about java/flash/acrobat is an excellent one. i
know that these days acrobat on *nix is generally handled by forking
it as a separate process rather than being embedded, but this hasn't
always been true and the java/flash cases are totally on point. i'll
do some research into what happens there and let the list know.

--p