[gmpi] Re: Reqs draft

  • From: "Michael Gogins" <gogins@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 8 Nov 2003 09:28:30 -0500

I think a central registry is not required. I think a layered specification
is not required. Both ideas are against the more important idea of a simple
specification, and both will lead to future problems as operating systems
and host software change.

Instead of a central registry, hosts should scan a specific plugin directory
or directories (which CAN be in the registry/environment variable/default
location) and look for plugin registration functions.

Instead of a layered specification, the specification should mandate basic,
no-op, or simple implementations of all high-level functions. E.e.
multi-channel is the spec; mono plugs just copy the signal to every
requested channel; stereo plugs just follow some basic panning law.

Michael Gogins
gogins at pipeline period com
Irreducible Productions
Silence, a language for programming music and sound
Available at http://sourceforge.net/projects/silencevst/