[gmpi] Re: Reqs TODO

  • From: Steve Harris <S.W.Harris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2003 12:25:19 +0000

On Wed, Nov 26, 2003 at 11:43:12 -0800, Tim Hockin wrote:
> 1) If we pick one audio datatype, we have to live withit until we change it.
> If we decide to change it, it is changed FOR ALL PLUGINS.  In otherwords
> GMPI v1 is float32, but GMPI v2 is float64.  Even this incurs the cost of
> supporting two datatypes (see #2)

Aside: please dont write float32 and float64 - they dont mean anything.
IEEE-754 defines "float" and "double" to have specific semnatics and sizes.

I feel that I have demonadtrated that there is effectivly no loss of
quality by using only float a intermediate buffer formats - the plugin can
use doubles internally freely (and should in many cases). Feel free to
argue against my benchmark or maths, but this doesnt seem like the place
for random speculation.

We are a long way from the situation where the cost of unbundling floats
from the 64-bit width native foramt (on 64bit machines) is more expensive
than the additional cache hit, so I'm not sure why we are having this
discussion *again*.

If it is truly contraversial then it should be left to the specification
stage and not be in the requirements IMHO.